Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Relativity of Classiness

My friend once told me I was a classy person. I've really appreciated that compliment in my life. She also told me I had great legs. While I am grateful for that compliment as well I might appreciate it more if it had come from a guy. :)

But I digress..... To the point

I was reading an article recently about new reality TV shows coming out (why I don't know, I was bored most likely) and one of them caught my eye. Not for the actual show, but for certain things about the people in the show. Here, read for yourself...


"It's "The Biggest Loser," only with brides and grooms. On the new show "Shedding for the Wedding," nine engaged couples compete to lose weight and win the wedding of their dreams. Each couple's wedding has a theme, from gaming to football to Greek life (frat, not Athens). The Greek life couple plan to have a beer pong table at their nuptials, but monogrammed 'cause that's "classier." (Premieres after 'Top Model," Feb. 23, 9 p.m., The CW.)"

Gaming? Football? Greek life? Hmmmmm...... not exactly my opinion of classy. 

Want to know something else that caught my attention? I went bowling for my birthday this past summer. When we arrived we noticed a wedding party there. Each person in the wedding party had a shirt with the date of the wedding (it was the next day) on the front and their name on the back. The bride had a white one, the groom a black one, and everyone else had a bright green one. Don't believe me? Check it out....





It didn't end up being the family friendly affair I thought it would, especially once the beer and pizza came out. (Hmmm.... beer and pizza, now that's class.)

The next time I happened to be at this same bowling alley someone proposed over the intercom system. Half of the place was in cheers (the half of the place that was surrounding the couple), and the other half were in disbelief and groans of "Seriously!?! Really!?!? On the intercom!?!?"


At first I thought about writing this and making some sarcastic jokes about the seemingly class-less wedding affairs of others. I even had some great one liners ready to go. But the more I thought about it the more I realized that I have no right to judge what is meaningful or "classy" to other people. In the end I have to have a great deal of respect for all these people. They had the courage to do what was meaningful and important to them in celebration of their relationship together no matter what others might think about it. While I may not be interested in having a Greek life themed reception, or having my significant other propose his love for me on a bowling alley intercom, I do want to feel free to celebrate in the way I choose. (I might could get on board for a bowling party the night before.) So whenever the time comes for me to plan a wedding of my own I am going to remember these people. I am going to make sure that whatever we do it is fun and classy for us. Who cares what other people think or say, it's not about them anyway. 

I will just say if and when I get to plan a wedding it will be TRULY classy!!! ;)



5 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right.

    And in other news: http://wedinator.icanhascheezburger.com/

    I'm laughing with them, really...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha!!! Thanks for the link. It gave me laugh or two.My favorites were the first couple on page 4, although I didn't look through all of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true! You DO have great legs and class! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sara!! ;) I'm glad you caught on to that. You're so kind to me, and I miss you tons!! Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy! I had no idea you had a blog! I'm so glad I found it, and hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete