Monday, November 2, 2009

Feeding Pumba

Quinoa (pronounced 'KEEN-wa') is one of the new things I have tried, and love. It is actually a seed, though it is used like a grain. It is the only grain-like thing that has all the amino acids needed to build a protein, so it is very nutritionally sound. There are limitless ways to use quinoa, and it has become one of the staples of my diet (right up there with rice). I have tried many recipes using quinoa and have liked all of them. Here is one of my favorites. Black Bean Mango Quinoa Salad

1 red pepper, seeded and diced small

3 green onions, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 mango, peeled and chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1 can (15oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 cups quinoa, cooked and chilled
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and chill. Serve cold. I love this dish with warm crab or fish. It is absolutely delicious!!!

1 comment:

  1. Amy, I was browsing this website and found a bunch of gluten free recipes. I thought you might be interested in some of them. I don't have a lot of the required ingredients, but maybe you do.
    http://mennonitegirlscancook.blogspot.com/search/label/Gluten%20Free

    ReplyDelete