Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I'm Back!!

Let's face it, I couldn't stay away from the blog forever. So I'm back. However, I am going to do things a bit differently now. This blog isn't just going to be about Celiac Disease. It's going to be my personal, here's what's going on with me blog. There will still be information on Celiac Disease (and thyroid disease), because that's a big part of who I am and why I do what I do, but there will also be updates on my life, my thoughts, and any other random thing I can think of.
I decided to blog again for a few reasons. I am no longer on Facebook and so reading my friends blogs is how I keep informed on what they are doing. It's only fair that I allow them that opportunity to know about me too. Plus, it helps that I had a little push from one of those friends. :) Another reason is that I need an outlet for creative writing and humorous thoughts. It won't all be that, but I occasionally have my moments of glory, and I would like to share them and hopefully bring a smile to someone's day.
Now, I won't promise that I'll post regularly, or that I'll have something interesting to say when I do post. But at least I'm making a small step for friends to stay connected.

I guess now is as good as time as any for an update on my life. I'll give you the short and sweet version, minus all the boring details. Beginning of last year (January 2010) I finally was starting to feel really better from the whole being sick with Celiac Disease thing. I went on several trips for graduate school interviews and was looking forward to starting "real" life again. I got a really good offer and had accepted admission to a program. Only problem was that at that point (April 2010) I has started to feel bad again. But in a different way. I assumed I was getting gluten or something. I went back to the doctor and has some tests run. It actually had nothing to do with Celiac Disease. Instead I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease that targets the thryoid gland, destroying it and leading to Hypothyroidism. At that time the doctor also thought something more serious was wrong, so I decided to withdraw from the graduate program before I even started. Turns out it was just the thyroid thing.
So, I've spent the last many months just chillin' again. I have been trying to get regulated on thyroid medication, which takes a while. I am actually very glad that I had this extra year. I have been able to let my body recover more fully. I have been able to spend more time with my parents and actually do more with them. I wouldn't change the way things have happened for anything.
I am doing very well right now and am moving towards "real" life again, almost 2 years after I checked out. I am currently applying for jobs and am even considering doing an online graduate program. I don't know when an opportunity will open up for me, but I have full faith in the timing of the Lord. I am not in any hurry, but I'm ready whenever the chance comes.

4 comments:

  1. yay! this reminded me that i went to a restaurant the other day that has a gluten-free menu (the waiter had celiac disease & he vouched for it) & i wanted to tell you about. it was called Urban Plate, over in the west end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My google reader just did a happy dance.

    No, really!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to hear from you again! I am sorry to hear about the added health problems, but you have such a wonderful attitude! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete