Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Feeding Pumba

The Farmer's Market This spring my mom and I got fed up with the produce at our local grocery stores. So we decided to try out our local farmer's market. Let me tell you, it's so much better than the grocery store! So much better in fact that we get up at 5:00 every Tuesday morning to go see what we can find. You can find all sorts of produce that is good quality and cheaper than the grocery store. Over the summer we have been able to get some of our favorites (zucchini, corn, tomatoes, potatoes, and berries), as well as try some new things (zephyr squash, winter squash, eggplant, figs, and october beans).
The farmer's market has been especially great since I was diagnosed with celiac disease. Fresh vegetables and fruits are some of the things that I can still eat and that I am trying to center my diet around. It's great to know that I can go somewhere that is a fun experience as well as come away with things that I know are fresh and taste good. We have had a blast trying new foods and recipes and enlarging our tastes. The farmer's market is going to close for the season soon and I don't know what we are going to do. Regular grocery stores just aren't the same anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment