Friday, August 14, 2009

Mood Swings and Depression

The mood swings started when I was 11 or 12. You may be thinking, well duh... puberty. We thought so too for a while. When I got older and the mood swings got worse my mom suggested going to the doctor and getting medication for it. But some things about it just didn't add up. Half the time the mood swings didn't even coincide with my cycle. Plus, this was more than just a change in mood, I was like a completely different person. This was way beyond normal puberty or PMS.

Normally I am very level headed and rational. I hardly ever get irritated with people and almost never get angry. This is not the case when a mood swing hits. And when I say hit I mean a switch flips from one second to the next. One second I am happy, the next I am irritated with whoever happens to be near me. One second I am hanging out with friends, the next I just know that they really don't like me and are just being nice to me because they feel sorry for me. One second I am working hard and am confident in myself, the next I don't know how I am going to do what I need to. My perspective also switches. I perceive everyone else around me as irritated and irrational too. If I stop and logically think about things I realize that I am making no sense. But I can never snap myself out of it. I am just certifiably crazy for a while. For example... my grandparents were in town visiting. My mom, grandma, and I were all sitting at the table having a good time talking about harmless things like recipes. All of a sudden the switch flipped. I literally was so annoyed with my mom and grandma that I thought I was going to pull my hair out. They hadn't done anything but all of a sudden I saw them as irritated with each other and making sharp comments to each other; not at all the case. I just had to excuse myself and completely leave the house.

It has gotten to the point that when I am venting to my mom during these times she has stopped trying to understand me and make it all better. Instead she tells me "Don't make any life changing decisions, don't sign any legal documents. Just go watch a movie, read a book, and go to bed. Tomorrow, you'll feel better and it will all work out." She's always right. The next day, or sometimes even just hours later, I am my old self again and everything is alright again.

Luckily the depression isn't quite as bad. It tends to come as a byproduct of the mood swings and goes away with them too. There have only been two times in my life where I was depressed for extended periods of time. Those times were due to a combination of stress and other symptoms.

Why are mood swings and depression symptoms of Celiac Disease? Autoimmune diseases effect your entire body. Especially your hormone levels and functioning. Your body is mass producing antibodies, hormones, or other chemicals trying to fix what's going wrong inside you. Thus, sometimes you get spikes or drops in hormone levels causing things like mood swings and depression. Another reason is that if you're undiagnosed you may be dealing with symptoms that you don't understand. You can become frustrated, worried, and feel like you are crazy (been there, done that). This can cause severe depression in some people, especially if they don't have a strong and understanding support system behind them. Thankfully, I have had an amazing, understanding family which helped me avoid the depression. Not everyone is so lucky. So the outlook for me is hopeful. I figure once my antibody levels come down and my body isn't on alert all the time my hormones will be able to level out as well. Thank goodness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment