Wednesday, August 12, 2009

To Begin...

Last month I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I've decided to created this blog for a few reasons.

1. As an educational reference for friends, family, and whoever else comes upon this blog.
2. As a support and information source (not that I have all the information) for those who also have Celiac Disease.
3. As a creative outlet for myself. (This is probably the main reason for the blog)
** Side note, I am a believer is the whole "humor is the best medicine". If you are offended at me taking things lightly, sorry I'm not changing it. I choose to see the humorous side of life; it makes life a lot happier, especially when times are hard.
** Additional side note, I plan on blogging about symptoms I have had and procedures I have been through because I find benefit in knowing that others have been through the same things and have had the same feelings that I have experienced. So just as a warning, occasional posts may be more information than you ever wanted to know about me.

So, a quick introduction to Celiac Disease for those of you who aren't familiar with it... Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disease (NOT an allergy or intolerance!!). When someone with Celiac Disease consumes gluten (a protein in wheat, barley, and rye) an immune response is triggered. Antibodies are sent to the small intestine to destroy the 'bad guys' and instead destroys the villi in the small intestine. This causes problems with absorption of nutrients, plain ol' proper functioning, and gives rise to a host of symptoms. One of the big problems with Celiac Disease is that the immune response is triggered by any amount of gluten, even just a hidden crumb. So, since there is no cure or medicine for this disease the only course of treatment is a 100% Gluten-Free diet; including miniscule crumbs.

How was I diagnosed? Glad you asked... I have had a plethora of varying symptoms my whole life. However, the past two years have just been out of control. I chalked it up to be stress. However, that excuse fell through when I graduated college and had three months planned of no school, no work, relaxation only, and my symptoms continuing to get worse. So, through my mom's research, and the correct medical tests I finally got the dianosis of Celiac Disease. (Yeah, I know it's kind of vague but I'm going to post specific stories later that I don't want to ruin. No one likes a spoiler!) When I got home and told my brother that I was officially a Celiac he laughed and said, "It sounds like some sort of alien species on Star Trek!" He's right! I can see it now... "Captain, the Celiac ship has locked onto us!" "Shields up! Red alert! Image on screen." Okay, so I am a bit of a trekkie too. Like Celiac Disease there's no cure for that either.

So, I have been Gluten-Free for about a month and have seen some improvements in my health. I still have a LONG way to go but it will come with time. The doctor's say that because of the damage I have to my small intestine it will take about two years for it to fully heal. Luckily they say I should start feeling much better in about 6-9 months. I honestly can't remember what it's like to feel normal and healthy so I am looking forward to finding out again!

2 comments:

  1. Seriously, my love for you just increased. You are always so upbeat, and stinkin funny. Your post is very interesting and I'll be checkin in to learn more. I have some undiagnosed issues myself (when it rains it pours, but luckily it isn't a constant problem) and it's really nice seeing someone else get answers:)

    Also, I'll have to know how you survive without bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog, friend! I think it's a great idea, and I'll tell you that I, too, have some interesting health stories . . . I also have intestinal problems! Yay! :(

    ReplyDelete